Saturday 23 June 2012

Inspiration

As I said in my last post - I love to read magazines...

I have two regulars that I buy and absorb from cover to cover; Grazia and Marie Claire. I have come to the conclusion that these are my favourites because they have the most extensive coverage of realistic fashion i.e. affordable, and also have suitably interesting articles that don't take up half the magazine (not mentioning any names - OK!).
Rachel Gilbert Ashliegh Dress
Image found at http://www.eveboutique.com.au

This interest came about when I realised that often, when I was lusting after something I'd seen in the shops, I would then flick through a magazine only to see my thoughts were 'bang on trend'.  For example, when I was in Australia I had to buy an outfit for a cocktail party (bearing in mind all I had taken with me was shorts and flip flops - this really was a necessity for once!) and my friend recommended I visit a little boutique in Manly.  I ended up purchasing a beautiful (if not extremely short) silk dress.  Despite there being a preferential exchange rate at the time, this was still an expensive purchase but I couldn't resist the luxurious LBD with its beautiful detailing. 

On my journey home I bought Heat magazine (not something I do often - I prefer fashion, not gossip) and low and behold - THERE WAS MY DRESS!!!!  It is by none other than Rachel Gilbert  who is best known for her embellished evening wear.  Her collections are now sold on the biggest online designer store NET-A-PORTER. 

That was back in 2007 - on special occasions I still choose to wear that dress and people always comment on it.  I truly believe it was an 'investment piece' and I continue to covet the designer's amazingly beautiful dresses.

Unfortunately I didn't keep the clipping from that magazine and I really wish I had - so now I keep a scrap book.  It serves many purposes; I often create mood boards to show my students how fashion can be influenced by previous design movements e.g. the Lulu & Co Jonathan Saunders dress inspired by Bauhaus.  I also use it as a source of inspiration for my own creations, whether it be a piece of jewellery I can take inspiration from when silver smithing (more on that another time!) or simply an outfit idea.

I think this scrapbook page illustrates my own preferred style.  Don't get me wrong, I do like to mix it up every now and then but I think it's really important that one recognises what suits them and try to make the most of it. 

What's next for the scrap book....
I've been hankering after a couple of dresses lately and then low and behold they are featured side by side next to each other!  I do however think if I were to actually try the French Connection dress on it probably wouldn't suit me - I tend to prefer a nice little cap sleeve!  It is beautiful though - I love embellishments as you may have guessed already!
 
GRAZIA (25 June 2012) 'Dresses that do it all' pg.32


So I thought I'd maybe give the Warehouse one a go - only to find it's not on the website?  Sold out perhaps :-(  Not to worry though, I always think if something's not available anymore then it isn't meant to be. 

Then I stumbled upon this pretty blue midi which is in the sale - and it has cap sleeves...definitely meant to be! x





No comments: