Monday 25 June 2012

Spring watch

We were invited to a black tie event and I have worn all of my cocktail dresses to the same do in the past so I wanted to (obviously) get something new but without breaking the bank.  I gave myself a strict budget and told myself if I couldn't work within it then I would have to wear something a second time - if it's good enough for K Middy!

Turquoise pleated sweetheart maxi dress

Anyway I found this beautiful blue maxi and it was an absolute bargain :-) £65 with 25% off on the day so a steal at £48 - I was well chuffed!  However I have found it very hard to come to terms with where said dress came from...  Jane Norman can you believe!!  I have never bought anything from there before and have not been able to admit it until now.  I was really quite surprised at the quality of the dress - especially for the price - and the aqua colour is exquisite.  It was just perfect for a Spring time ball. 

Even the skinny belt that came with it is quite cute and I decided to work on that colour basis for the accessories - silver gold best describes it.  Personally, I don't particularly like strappy sandals with a heel.  For a start they are never very comfortable (yes heels can be comfortable thank you L.K.Bennett and Russell and Bromley) and it's very hard to find a pair that don't look like something your Granny would wear.  Luckily I'm a reasonably tall girl at 5ft8 and so decided to go for these simple flat sandals from TOPSHOP that were the perfect colour match and I was extra happy as they only cost £16.  Besides, I prefer flats with a maxi.

HAVANA Metallic T-Bar Sandals


Now I come to think of it, most of my other recent purchases have been from Topshop:

Florida Simple Buckle sandals £38
Manor scalloped edge loafers £30
Love asymmetric midi dress £42
Lightweight tweed swing coat £70


...and a few things from elsewhere:

I bought a gorgeous mint green chunky knit from ZARA and although I can't find a picture of it anywhere I'd say it was a good purchase as it's also featured here on cocosteaparty blog and chictopia.

I also bought this dress from Kiki's Boutique which is by Emily and Fin.  It has quickly been added to my work staples collection - fun and individual but formal enough to still look professional - and looks great with the scallop loafers.
Elsa dress - blue swallows £59

P.S. Did anyone notice the Alex Monroe swallow on my banner?  I'm a big fan!

No comments: