Sunday 24 June 2012

Top 5 sale dresses ❀

We went to a Birthday bash last weekend and I decided (despite having at least 2 unworn and various others) that I would like a new dress.  That's a girls prerogative surely?!  Luckily for me that coincided with the start of the Spring/Summer sales :-)

There were sooooo many to choose from but I'm quite a sensible shopper really.  Don't get me wrong, I don't mind spending money (!) but two things are really important when I make a purchase: 1) the overall quality of said garment and 2) consideration toward 'price per wear' (and that my friends is a whole other post just waiting to happen!).

So, where do I head during the sales?  First of all I check out NET A PORTER and MATCHES.  Only to be hit (hard) with the realisation that although I don't do badly, my disposable income really isn't going to stretch that far!  I adore this Flower print, silk chiffon dress by ISSA (sold out now I'm afraid) it has the most beautiful print and one can just imagine it fitting perfectly!  Oh - that's number 3 - it has to be a good fit.


During the sales I tend to check out Whistles, Karen Millen, Ted Baker & French Connection.  These are the kind of establishments that offer really good discounts during the sale period and if you're very lucky and hold out until the bitter end you can grab yourself a great bargain i.e. I once got a full length black evening dress for £30 from French Connection in the January sales.

This time around, these were my pick of the bunch...

Mirror Print Dress KAREN MILLEN - £140 reduced to £110
Dotty Tweed Dress WHISTLES - £195 reduced to £95
Chora Printed Dress TED BAKER @ House of Fraser - £139 reduced to £70
Rebecca Beads Dress FRENCH CONNECTION £140 reduced to £56
The first number is cut very well in terms of shape but for some reason I have to go up a size in Karen Millen (I'm normally a 10).  I love love love the Whistles dress!  The yellow is cheerful - not garish - and the leather look piping adds a quality feel but unfortunately they had sold out in my size (the usual 10 thank you!) I am gutted as I've had my eye on this number since I tried it on back in March. 

The other two dresses are a bit more girly.  Although they make my top 5, I wouldn't actually buy them because it would go against my most basic rule - it must suit/flatter/do something for you - so as much as I can appreciate them, I had to say thanks but no thanks.  I think these are the kind of pretty dresses that would best suit a more petite frame.

Gusadi Dress TED BAKER - £139 reduced to £70  
After much deliberation I finally decided upon this blue dress.  At first I thought it might be a little too conservative but then I considered this a positive attribute - I do love K Middy after all!

It ticks all the boxes for me - cap sleeves, nipped in at the waist, not too short and a beautiful colour.  It is also quite versatile with great 'price per wear' potential :-)

Tie-Waist Dress ISSA - £298 reduced to £178
I then realised it is quite similar to another ISSA dress I have been admiring available at MATCHES:



No comments: